Vet’s warning as three common Easter foods ‘can be fatal’ for dogs

By Staff 6 Min Read

Our furry friends deserve to join in on the Easter celebrations – but several common foods can have deadly consequences for them, even if ingested in extremely small dosages

Don’t let an emergency trip to the vet dampen your Easter celebrations.

As Brits across the nation get ready to mark the end of Lent by stuffing their faces with delicious food and booze – it’s worth staying extra vigilant when it comes to our furry friends. While pooches love to nibble on ‘human food’ as a treat – certain Easter goodies can be fatal to them.

Even small dosages of toxic food can leave your pets in pain and at risk of serious health complications. Luckily, resident Vet, Dr Linda Simon, at Pooch & Mutt has shared which foods to avoid giving your pooch – and warns when you should seek medical help.

Raisins

Easter without hot cross buns is like Christmas with no Santa – but they’re a big ‘no’ when it comes to dogs. In fact, Dr Simon warns there is no ‘safe’ dose of raisins for our furry friends – so even ‘just one bite’ could cause havoc.

The vet recalls one experience in her clinic where a small dog only ate five/six raisins and ended up developing renal disease. Symptoms of the condition (such as excess thirst and vomiting) may take a couple of days before they start to show – ‘lulling owners into a false sense of security’.

“Kidney disease is not always something we can successfully treat, so preventing it is crucial,” the expert adds. “If an owner suspects raisin ingestion, they need to bring their pet to the vet urgently to induce vomiting and provide IV fluids and activated charcoal.”

Chocolate

Most people know that chocolate isn’t good for dogs, but if the little ones leave their Easter eggs lying around – accidents can easily happen. Dark chocolate contains more toxins than milk, but white chocolate doesn’t contain theobromine – which is poisonous to our pooches.

If eaten in small doses, dogs may experience an upset stomach and excess thirst – but moderate toxicities can lead to muscle shaking and restlessness. Very high doses can lead to seizures and even death – so it’s highly important you keep the choccies away from your pets.

Want big news with big heart? Get the top headlines sent straight to your inbox with our Daily Newsletter

“It can take a few hours for signs to develop, but we want to induce vomiting as soon as possible after a toxic amount of chocolate has been consumed; within 4 hours,” Dr Simon said. “So, even if the dog does not yet have symptoms, they should be rushed to the clinic.”

Roast Dinner

On special occasions, owners tend to give their pets a little bit of ‘human food’ as a treat – but you may want to think twice about this when it comes to a Sunday roast. Ingredients such as meat and vegetables tend to be fine, but anything containing garlic or onion could be toxic.

“I advise against giving any meat bones,” Dr Simon added. “I’ve seen too many cases of fractured teeth and gut obstructions; whether the bone is raw or cooked.”

Do you have a story to share? Email us at [email protected]

Share This Article
Leave a comment